Working with King StarBoard ®
Care and Storage
- Store the sheets flat on a level surface, as the polymer can cold flow.
- Keep away from teak oil and other products that can stain the finish.
- Use china markers or water-based markers to draw patterns. Do not use pencil, as it will permanently mark the material. Pen marks can usually be removed with household cleaners.
- Provide structural support every 16-18 inches (typical spacing for 3/4").
- Keep away from heat sources that exceed 180 degrees F.
- Test applications for unforeseen complications, such as expansion/contraction issues (note: different colors react differently to heat). King StarBoard® contracts and expands at a rate of 6x10-5 in./degree F, changing approximately 1/32 inch for every foot of length or width over a 40-degree temperature range.
- Use King StarBoard®XL or King StarLite®XL only in places where a finished edge is not important.
- Use King StarBoard®AS for walking surfaces (or rout a non-skid pattern into KingStarBoard material).
- Because there is no grain, parts can be cut from any area of the sheet. Save the scraps for small parts, shims, spacers and plugs.
- Remnants may be eligible for recycling. Contact your distributor or King Plastic Corporation for details.
Cleaning and Maintenance
- King StarBoard sheets are made to maintain their color and finish for the lifetime of the boat. Only routine cleaning or pressure washing with common detergents is required.
- Nylon scrub pads and brushes should be used with care because excessive force can mar the finish.
- For resistant stains, apply bleach and allow it to soak in.
- Use citrus cleaner, alcohol or mineral spirits to remove grease or oil stains.
- Automotive silicone spray products or household furniture polish can help to hide scratches in the surface. To prevent slipping, do not use these products on walking surfaces.
Fabrication and Finishing
- Use standard woodworking tools: table saws, table routers, drills, blades and bits. Carbide router bits with two to four flutes are recommended.
- With a 1/2" diameter router bit, feed rates of 12-16 feet per minute are normal. Rates must be slower for material that is 1/2" thick or thicker. Larger bits have higher tip speeds and RPM adjustments may be necessary.
- Cut with a circular saw at 1275 RPM using a 50-70-tooth carbide blade. Expect a feed rate of 12-16 feet per minute.
- No surface finishing is required. King StarBoard, King StarBoard XL and King StarLite XL come with a textured matte finish on both sides. King StarBoard AS comes with a non-skid dot pattern finish on one side and a matte finish on the reverse.
- Edges may be finished with a router. Sanding may be used, but a very fine sandpaper is required to avoid creating small, hard-to-clean scratches.
- Because King StarBoard sheet products are designed to resist water and grime, they cannot be painted and the use of adhesives is not recommended. If gluing is absolutely necessary, products such as 3M's Scotch-Weld DP-8005 and Lord Corporation's 7540-AB have been used with some success. Special welding rods, designed for use with polymer sheets, are also available.
- Use standard fasteners with oversized holes. Drill pilot holes first, followed by an oversized hole to allow for expansion and contraction. Use press-in threaded inserts for applications where repetitive motion is expected, such as a door hinge.
- Mild heat applied with a heat gun will help mold the sheets for curved installations. Sharper corners must be notched and then heat-shaped.
- Hide fasteners with plugs made from King StarBoard using a standard wood-plug cutter. Make the plug slightly larger than the hole for a press fit.
The Ultimate Marine Building MaterialTM
King Plastic Corporation Limit of Warranty is your money refunded or defective material replaced. All statements, information and data given herein are believed to be accurate and reliable, but are presented without guarantee, warranty, or responsibility of any kind, expressed or implied. Statements or suggestions concerning possible use of our products are made without representation or warranty that any such use is free of patent infringement and are not recommendations to infringe any patent. The user should not assume that all safety measures are indicated, or that other measures may not be required.
King Plastic Corporation
1100 N. Toledo Blade Blvd., North Port, FL 34288 USA
TEL: (941) 493-5502 FAX: (941) 497-3274